
Nicholas has a new infatuation....Volkswagens! And it doesn't have to be a Bug to get him all excited. Any Volkswagen will do and he knows them all! It's amazing, he can spy one from a block away and can identify them in the dark by their headlights alone. You know immediately when he spots one because he yells out "red one!" or "blue one!" and then proceeds to slug himself on the chest. Wondering why he hits himself and not the person next to him?? That would be because usually it's one of his siblings who are on the receiving end of that punch. So we had to make a rule that he is only allowed to punch himself now. It's working out nicely for everyone.
Nicholas and Jenna recently got to take a ride in a green Volkswagen Bug! (Yes, this is cool if you're four and like VW's.) Our next door neighbor, Melanie, rented one for a couple of days so I arranged for her to swing by and pick them up. She took them on a spin around the neighborhood. They were thrilled! I wish I had taken a picture of them in it.
You can imagine Nicholas' excitement when he realized that one of the mom's that we carpool with has Volkswagen minivan. He asks her all the time if she can pick him up in her VW. She's so nice and does her best to honor his request. He also was excited to learn that his teacher drives a Volkswagen Bug. He insists that I park right next to it when I'm dropping him off for school.
By the way, this intense interest in VW's is a direct result of Nicholas seeing all the Volkswagen commercials that are running right now. He saw that commercial once, immediately caught on, and has been punching himself ever since.