Thursday, February 26, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day??

Jenna and Tommy went to the Sweetheart Dance at her preschool a couple of weeks ago. I just got this professional picture back today (which I paid $10 for). If you're wondering why Jenna doesn't look so happy in the photo, please allow me to explain....she truly wasn't feeling the love on that day.

It all started with the dress. Originally, she was planning on wearing her horsey jean jumper (what else would you wear to a Sweetheart Dance?), but no...when it came time to put it on she refused. Everything in her closet wasn't good enough...so I carefully selected and laid out three dresses on her bed, told her to choose, and then left the room. Half an hour later, she begrudgingly choose a dress and requested that I help her put on her tights. She was frowning the whole time. Then the shoes were an issue....didn't want to wear the pretty girly shoes...wanted to wear boots. Nice. Attitude the whole way. Next came the hairstyle, which I was personally really looking forward to doing with her. I was thinking curls, bows, flare...nope. It was all I could do to get the plain, white bow in her hair. This threw her over the edge and reduced her to tears. How dare I try to make her look pretty for the dance!?! Forget the nail polish...we never got that far.

Got her into her car seat still crying..not wanting to go...Tom trying to explain to her that this is going to be fun, she was going to see her friends, special time with Daddy, etc. They leave...she's still crying. She had to be carried in, refused to dance, ate a few cookies, and continually asked Tommy when they were going to leave. For those of you who know Jenna well, you understand that this is not out of the ordinary for her. She still drives her own bus...and she'll run you over if you stand in her way. Poor thing...maybe if the dance had been at Blackberry Farm it would have been more appealing to her. :)